Sodium thiopental is a fast-acting anesthetic designed for use in surgery is used in the U.S. to numb prison inmates before injecting other drugs to stop the person's breathing and heartbeat. Sodium thiopental is rare because there's only one company in the U.S. that makes this anesthetic. Now, this company has stopped all production. The U.S. hoped to get the medication from a plant in Italy but Italy demanded an assurance that it wouldn't be used for capital punishments. Britain has even banned exports of it to the U.S. 139 nations around the world have abolished the use of the death penalty. If there is such a shortage will there be no more death penalty punishments? There has also been many lawsuits and debates about this punishments. Many many people are wondering if it's ethical or not. I think they United States will have to eliminate this punishment.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-deathdrug-20110127,0,921055.story
I personally don't know how I feel about the death penalty. I feel taking someone one else's life is murder, no matter what the means. Do two wrongs really make a right?
ReplyDeleteHonestly, the choice of whether you live or die is not up to the government. Although the world would be better without a couple of pyscos...it's still not anyone else's determinate.
ReplyDelete